Sunday, March 16, 2008

Ben, The Two of Us Need Look No More...

Those of you who have been in touch with us these past few days, know that the Mothers Goose have had a rough go of it as home owners. It all started innocently enough with a little water in the basement last Sunday (see previous wet/dry vac reference). Really, it was more of a nuisance than anything else and hey, now I have a wet/dry vac. Awesome. Then on Tuesday morning, there's really no easy way to say this... I caught a rat in our bathroom. Yeah, it's as traumatic as it sounds. Actually, not to toot my own horn but I'm pretty proud of myself for keeping it together enough to trap the lil sucker. He made it easy for me by hiding in Mer's bathrobe (!), so all I had to do was wrap it up and seal 'em in a giant Rubbermaid bin. Big props to Sadie for pointing him out for me (she didn't take her eyes off that robe). We have no idea how he got IN our bathroom, but we're thinking the excessive water over the weekend may have had something to do with it. Luckily, there has been no evidence of his family (exterminators came by with traps... and they're all clean so far), but Meredith now has a severe case of robeaphobia. We were pretty freaked out at the time, but now we've gained some distance and can finally laugh about it all. Our friend Cathy actually gave Mer a book about "tending to your pet rat" for her b-day. Thanks Cath, very helpful. Also, I have been plagued (heh) by mental rat references all week - Michael Jackson's theme song, the super intelligent Nicodemus, the swishy stylings of Paul Lynde's Templeton, not to mention the very obscure Ratboy movie which was an HBO staple in the 80s. I guess rats have always been in my life, which is fine - just NOT IN MY HOUSE. Mr. Rosella, any chance you wanna lend me your bb gun??
Well, I feel much better now. We had a great weekend and Luce even got the chance to explore her new backyard (rat free).

No comments: